Monday, March 7, 2016

nut butter


I have been making my own almond butter. It's so good. You might like to make some yourself. 

To make about 250ml of almond butter you'll need

2 cups of unsalted dry roasted almonds
salt (optional, about 1/4 tsp)

Line a baking tray with baking paper and heat the almonds in an oven preheated to 180ºC for 10 minutes.
Tip the hot almonds into your food processor and process - stopping from time to time to scrape down the sides of the bowl - until you get a nice sloppy consistency. 
Store in a sterilized jar.

+ Heating the almonds seems to speed up the release of oil in the nuts.
+ The blending takes me about ten minutes but this may vary depending on how powerful your processor is. When you start processing the almonds first turn to a dry sand-like consistency, then start to clump together and finally become oily and sloppy. It seems to take ages, but stick with it.
+ You could start with any amount of almonds. But two cups fits perfectly into my small baking tray and is easily managed by my food processor. Plus I have a few jars with lids that are the perfect size. 

I hope you get round to making some. It's great on toast.

Listening: Ivy Tripp by Waxahatchee 

Reading: Indoor green: living with plants by Bree Claffey from Mr Kitly

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to leave a comment. I love to read them. Thanks!